With any doomsday preparation, there's the decision to be made of remaining in place or get the fuck out. Let's visit the pros and cons of each.
Remain in Place
- able to keep a watch on your property and protect it
- should services (power, water, communications) be regained, you're there and will be the first to know
- you have all of your stuff, nothing to pack or transport
- if looting or other violence occurs you're there and have to protect your stuff and risk injury doing so
- in the event of chemical/nuclear/other catastrophe you may continue to be exposed
- if you change your mind a day or two later and want to escape, the roads may either be too congested, flooded, or otherwise unusable
Get outta Dodge
The pros and cons are basically the reverse of the above.
Which to decide largely depends on what the nature of the incident is, identifying if you have a safe place to go (family in another location, campsite far enough away, etc.) and other issues including your outlook in the moment.
Here's an easy one though: huge ass hurricane heading relatively straight at you? Get the hell out. Your double wide trailer really isn't worth dying for.